Monday, August 2, 2010

Summer Bliss


Swimming lessons are a requisite part of summer. Typically we start lessons as soon as school gets out. But not this year. This year we put them off. That is until today.

What took so long?!! Sitting in the bleachers -- watching my goggle clad daughters scoot about the pool -- pure bliss!

After lessons we hit the children's swim area. This year things are easier. My kids are older and I can let down my guard. Don't get me wrong -- I'm still a lifeguard at heart* -- but my kids can stand in the pool. They can swim. I even brought my knitting and a book. Granted I didn't dig into this bag of goodies but I could have.

I love watching all the people at the pool -- young and old, fit and not so fit, women with beautiful pregnant bellies and papas with babies. Me? I forgot my sunscreen and therefore stayed in shorts and a long sleeved blouse -- a bit of a fish out of water. Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll remember sunblock and swim laps. It's about time I got back into the swing of things.

After swimming we went to the store. Tonight we're making ceviche. You see my husband and son went albacore fishing this weekend. Now we are up to our ears in fresh tuna. It'll be all tuna all the time - at least for a while. Fortunately a lot of it is vacuumed packed and frozen. Now if I can just figure out what to do with it all.

While at the store I happened across fresh apricots -- on sale. I couldn't resist. It looks like tonight I'll be making some jam. So, dear family and friends, be prepared -- this year we'll be gifting you with eggs, tuna and jam. Mmmm. Mmmmm. Sounds excellent, eh?

Today, finally, it feels like summer is finally in full swing. It's only just begun and soon will be over. I suppose I'd best enjoy it while it lasts. I hope you, too, are enjoying the little moments.

❊❊❊ ❊❊❊ ❊❊❊

* I really was a lifeguard - from age 16 to 23. This kind of training stays in your blood -- I'm constantly scanning the pool -- back and forth, up and down, repeat and repeat again. Oh and it takes everything in my soul not to yell out "NO RUNNING!" Yup. Pool marm. That's me. ☺

2 comments:

Angelique said...

Sounds like it could be sushi rolling time!

Amy said...

Sounds like a great day at the pool! My boys are still a little young and need me in the pool in order for them to move away from the wall. :) We'll get there...we'll get there!
http://amysreallife.wordpress.com