Truth be told our finances are tight. Tighter than I'd care to admit. It's hard to fathom that two people, both with full-time jobs and a less than extravagant lifestyle, could be in such a position. And yet here we are. Granted we live in one of the towns hardest hit by this recession. We should count our lucky stars we are still standing. Many people are not. And yet.
It is hard to discuss finances with Mr. Peculiar. He shuts down. He gets angry. I get sad. I'm the cheerleader of the family. It's alright, it's okay, we can pay these bills, we'll find a way! But some days it's hard to put one foot in front of the other. It's hard to explain to the children that we can not afford luxuries like sleep away summer camp. It's hard to stomach working so hard only to find ourselves hanging on by the tiniest of threads. It's hard to hear people talk about "printing money" and "rolling in dough". It's hard to believe this type of abundance is possible.
If only my husband was happy I'd be okay with our finances right where they are. I can tolerate Tight as long as it befriends Joy. Of course I have desires but I don't need fancy. Frankly I'm content to wear the same grungy clothes day after day. But he's not happy. It's not that he wants bigger better and more. No. He simply wants less worry. He's stressed and depressed. And therefore I am the same. I want to be a team; a team of optimists working towards a common goal. But how to get there?
For lack of a better plan here are the things I'm doing:
- Turned off the sprinklers (it's rainy like crazy here and for now we don't need them).
- Turned off the heat (our house has been maintaining nicely on it's own).
- Turned off the pilot light for our fireplace (our neighbors did this and it saved them $15.00 a month on their gas bill).
- I'm hanging my laundry (indoors due to the weather).
- I'm going to clean up a few pieces of superfluous furniture and put them on Craigslist.
- I'm going to list some household items on Ebay.
- I have an Etsy shop (please visit and pass on the link!)
- I am moonlighting as a Veterinary Expert for Just Answer (see the link on the left sidebar)*
- We are eating at home and using left overs as much as possible.
- Returning all found bottles and cans.
- Using coupons whenever practical (we only use coupons for those items we would normally buy).
- Buying in bulk (Cost Co).
- Preparing food from scratch.
- And, finally, giving my hope to the wind and becoming a feather. May we all fly on the jet stream of universal abundance.
How has this recession hit you? How are you saving money and/or bringing in additional income?
❊❊❊ ❊❊❊ ❊❊❊
*Just Answer is a website that allows you to have your questions answered by experts for a nominal fee. You ask the question and you set the fee.