Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fourteen


Today is my son's fourteenth birthday. FOURTEEN! I am the mother of a teenaged boy who next year will be starting HIGH SCHOOL. I'm doing my best to ignore this fact, the idea that I am possibly old enough to be the parent of such a child. But that number 14 keeps sneaking up ever so stealthily and tapping me on the shoulder.

"Hello old lady." says Fourteen.

"Hi." I mutter and walk away.

You see I need more time. Somehow I expected to be wiser at this juncture. I expected to be a veritable bank of wisdom -- handing out knowledge like a millionaire dispensing dollar bills. But me? I'm still making my way. And this poor boy is along for the bumpy ride. Truth-be-told he's taught me more than I'll ever teach him.

And, very soon, this young man will be venturing out into the world without me. Eeegads. I'm still mourning the loss of the toddler he once was. That precious little boy who held my hand and told me all about his day playing on the dar-bee-two (barbeque).

Today he really is a young man. Taller than me and muscular. And living a life that isn't necessarily Mama centered -- fishing, texting, WWF (and we're not talking the world wildlife federation here). Him and Papa are two peas in a pod -- as it should be for a boy making his way in life.

He is a spectacular kid and I'm so very proud of who he is and who he will become.

Happy Birthday Baby!

And now, if you'll excuse me, I must wipe the tears from my eyes and make that child some cupcakes.

❊❊❊ ❊❊❊ ❊❊❊

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eloquently put, emotionally felt, and where's the darned tissue cuz I'm right behind you with my 13 almost 14 year old.

jacqueline said...

This is such a lovely post and it made me smile! Your young man looks so handsome! Happy birthday day and i hope you had a wonderful celebration! Have a lovely merry day and love to yoU!

Anonymous said...

this post makes me think of my own son who is growing up far to fast. (i think i may need to go hug him.)

happy birthday to mr. fourteen. he's quite a handsome fellow.

Mrs. E said...

Happy 14th to the boy. As a sophomore teacher, I can tell you that you might have a few "distant" or "rough" years--but when they come back to you...you will be soooo loved! I don't have sons, but I have seen it happen with the parents of my boy students for over 25 years now. (Girls tend to be more that way in Middle School.) Hang in there, Mom! Raising good men is such an important job!

angel said...

Hello! Popping in from Flying Lessons. Hope the birthday celebrations were grand.
Just wanted to say that I love, love, love your writing. I'm also a vintage collector of many things that speak to my heart when I see them. Cute, fun blog you have here!!

Amy said...

Aw, happy, happy belated birthday to your 14 year old! I cannot fathom my babies reaching that age, but I know it's coming sooner than I think!
http://amysreallife.wordpress.com

Gayle said...

I hope your boy had a wonderful 14th birthday!!! Shalet, I know what you mean in this post. My kids are 17, 14 and 12. My oldest starts his senior year of high school in September. Yikes! He's ready but I'm not!