Monday, June 14, 2010

Bring on Summer!

ice cream in a dish
The weather has finally warmed up. Tomorrow the kids will be done with school. And I suddenly feel the need to nest. I want to sort, organize and clean. To nurture and to cook. To putter and pull weeds. I have a deep seated instinct to pull my family close and care for them by caring for their surroundings.

Why this desire hit now I'm not sure. I suppose it's always been in there but in a more latent form. This year our summer calendar is wide open and I may actually have the time to do these things. Or perhaps it's the weather.

Today I baked bread, cleaned the kitchen and cleared the junk from my car. I also went shopping, filled the cupboards and made dinner (grilled flank steak with homegrown grilled green onions, avocados and corn tortillas).

I want to start summer off right. My ideal summer would be one full of reading and crafts. Days spent outside poking about the garden or languishing by the pool. We'd live in a house, that by some miracle, stayed clean and organized. And my children would relish all that I cooked and baked.

Needless to say we won't have the *perfect* summer. But I do hope we'll have some of the above elements and, perhaps, a little ice cream to boot.


❊❊❊ ❊❊❊ ❊❊❊


4 comments:

Mrs. E said...

Happy Summer! Hope you find lots of time for the things you love!

donna said...

Mmmmm....your perfect summer sounds so good. I particularly like the permanently clean house scenario...impossible but its nice to dream!

Anonymous said...

Can I move in with you for the summer ... I promise to pick up after myself. Sounds like you're going to have a great one time!

Dana Barbieri said...

That dinner sounds so yummy! I wish I had the whole cleaning bug to that extreme. I want at all perfectly clean and organized but I don't want to be the one to do it. :)