Friday, May 21, 2010

Frugal Friday: Thrifty Finds and a Crock Pot Recipe


Check out my latest frugal find ... a coffee pump. I'm embarrassed to admit how giddy it makes me. One dollar. One. See how well it coordinates with our picnic basket? Now all I need is to sew one of these and we'll be ready for picnic season, that is if the weather cooperates.

Today is a mixture of rain, snow and small bursts of sunshine. If not for the stormy skies I'd have my hands buried in soil prepping and planting our vegetable beds. I've started reading Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and am itching to plant some asparagus. But alas not today. Instead I'm huddled inside longing for something more akin to summer -- after all it's nearly June!

Late spring or not it is chilly. I've kept our heater off during this cold spell. I'm curious to see how well our house can maintain on its own. Right now the indoor temperature is a cool 64 degrees. With a long sleeved shirt and toasty wool socks it's not too bad. Plus I've got the crock pot simmering and the smell alone lends a cozy aura. And it masks all the other, ahem, not so pleasant smells in this house. Pets, children -- enough said.

Today's crock pot recipe is so freakishly simple I can hardly believe it. It is the perfect recipe for mornings when you are in a terrible hurry or those mornings where putting one foot in front of the other is work enough. So, without further adieu, here it is:

Salsa Verde Pork

Ingredients:
Pork Roast (bone in)
One Jar Salsa Verde (brand of your choosing)
Corn Tortillas
Cilantro (optional)

Put the pork in the crock pot. Pour the jar of salsa over the pork. Cook on high for 6 to 7 hours or until meat is tender and easily pulls off the bone. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with tortillas.

That's it. Told you it was easy!


❊❊❊ ❊❊❊ ❊❊❊

Things I'm loving today:
  • A weekend off work.
  • A clean living room (we'll see how long that lasts!)
  • Estate sales (fabric, notions and my new coffee pump to boot).
  • Our lovely down comforter and pillow top bed.

Things I'm hoping for today:
  • Warmer weather!
  • Supplemental income (might put some stuff on Ebay).
  • A handsome fairy to wash the dishes.


7 comments:

Sheryl Rayner said...

Enjoy your time off. Looking forward to seeing the wonderful things you create in your "spare" time.

annies home said...

thanks for the recipe that was super easy and I will make it soon

Anonymous said...

I was reading some of your older post and saw that you have a daschound. We have a minature one and love her to death. Did your's do alright with the puppies?
Clare T.

Michelle, Queen Behind the Lens! said...

Recipe sounds great! The man hates cilantro, but that's easily fixed. Sounds yummy as heck to me! A little sour cream... yum! I use my crock pot in fits & starts. I'll try this one for sure.

Yeah-- this weather is awful!!!

Crockpot Recipe said...

Hey, nice crockpot recipe you got here. I never thought it can get any easier, but it actually does now according to your recipe, lol! I like the idea of serving it with tortillas. I'm sure my boys are going to love this. thanks for sharing!

Shalet said...

Hi Clare. Actually that Dachshund wasn't ours -- just a pup borrowed for a few squeezes and kisses. They are great dogs though. ;o)

Unknown said...

So fun! We've started collecting those adorable vintage coffee pumps. We have only 4 or so, but I love to have them on display and use them for parties.