Friday, April 2, 2010

A Year of Living Positively


In February 2008 Peculiar Momma came to life. It was (and is) a simple place; a place to reflect, grouse and document. Mostly it’s a personal journal that happens to be open to the public. In other words I write for myself. If someone else reads these musings all the better. If not so be it.

Lately this blog has had less actual writing and more listing; lists of things for which I am grateful. These lists are cathartic. They bring about a sense of peace and make me truly happy. I find myself reviewing these lists periodically and, honestly, they warm the cockles of my soul.

Practicing gratefulness is not a novel idea. Buddhists, happiness experts and numerous others have preached this behavior for ages. You know the old adage “smile to make yourself happy”. Previously I thought this idea was oopey, goopy bologna put out by people that were either a) stoned or b) truly miserable and faking it.

And then I began to practice gratefulness. My life hasn’t changed but it has changed my life. My children still fuss and yell (you should have been here the other night - oi vay!). Money is still tight. I continue to work nights and weekends and holidays. My house is a mess. And yet ... yet. I am more content. I am incredibly grateful for the things I do have and do not lament the things I don’t.

Now this doesn’t mean I live without hopes and dreams. In fact I’m working on a Mondo Beyondo list as we speak (yes - another list). The Mondo Beyondo is a list of hopes and dreams that, in the words of Andrea Scher from Superhero designs, are "...so JUICY and unlikely to happen that you are even afraid to write them down."

Two-years-ago I wouldn’t have considered writing such a list. Again - oopey goopy. But, seriously, why not? And really it goes with my theme for the year - Imagine.

And what is point of all this? Simply to tell you that today - April 2nd, Good Friday, I begin my Year of Living Positively. With each and every post I will include a gratefulness list and a list of hopes (not Mondo Beyondo hopes - those are separate- but a small list of austere dreams and desires). I can't wait to see what unfolds!

++++++++++++++++
And now, without further adieu --

Things I am grateful for today:
  • Gorgeous fluffy white snowflakes.
  • Babysitting exchanges.
  • Solitude.
  • A HUGE stack of books waiting to be read.
  • The promise of Easter brunch with friends and family.
  • My calendar with last year's photo that is oh so appropriate for today.
  • Bright and cheery table settings (something old, something new, something thrifted, something blue).

Things I am hoping for today:
  • I sincerely hope my husband can find peace and contentment at work (he's still living on the ooey gooey side of gratefulness).
  • I hope my girls behave tonight as I may have to take them to work with me.
  • I hope to finish a small piece of this blanket I'm knitting.
  • I hope the roads don't ice over.
  • I hope the Easter wheat grass I planted continues to grow.
  • I hope those less fortunate are able to find shelter from this storm.

No comments: