Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day 2010

"Mister!" he said with a sawdusty sneeze, "I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees!"


Around here Spring arrives slowly and subtly. While the rest of the country is awash in color we reside in browns and grays. One must hunt to find undertones of renewal. I have been marching around our yard, camera in tow, poking and prodding, waiting for my beloved plants to return. Finally, finally this week our trees have begun to bud and bloom.

Of all our trees I absolutely adore the apricot in the back yard. This tree, technically, is not ours but rather our neighbor's. Nonetheless she is mine. I love the way she rests her branches across our chicken coop as if protecting the contents within. I'm smitten with her blossoms and, in the summer, revere her limbs laden heavy with fruit. She is also one of the first plants to show true signs of Spring. As she blooms my spirits lift; rejuvenation has begun.

And so today, Earth Day, I honor her and all the trees.

"You're in charge of the last of the Truffla seeds.
And Truffla trees are what everyone needs.
Plant a new Truffla. Treat it with care.
Give it clean water. And feed it fresh air.
Grow a forest. Protect it from axes that hack.
Then the Lorax and all of his friends may come back."


+++++++++++++++++

Things I'm loving today:
  • Trees, trees, trees!
  • Warm weather (after rain and snow).
  • Cupcake pencil toppers (another 4th grade town project).
  • The return of the scrub jays.
  • The delectable scent of our new pine mulch (which was free -- sort of. Stay tuned).
  • Florabella actions and textures.
  • A distinct lack of jury duty all this week (hooray!)

Things I'm hoping for:
  • Continued luck on the jury duty front.
  • Energy to finish the yard work and cleaning begun earlier in the week.
  • A gorgeous clothesline such as this.
  • Opportunities to earn some extra income (we could use a little boost).
  • Continued photographic inspiration.

2 comments:

Maine Mountain Mama said...

I have been a lurker of your blog for quite a while. I love reading about your frugal ideas, recipes and life in general. That is the exact idea for the clothesline that I want....now I have a picture to show to my hubby! I have been doing the same poking around here in Maine looking for the tree buds and new growth.

Unknown said...

Love the Lorax here in this house! Its my 7 year olds favorite book :)
Have a lovely weekend! We have an extended forecast of rain here in Kentucky so we'll see what fun we can find!