Thursday, October 30, 2008

Love Thursday


Every last muscle in my body aches. But in a good way. Yesterday I went to a Bikram Yoga class (i.e. hot yoga). Oy was it hot! There I stood, neatly framed in the mirror, drenched in sweat, my no longer eighteen-year-old body tremoring as it tried to hold a pose. I’m doing this for me. I’m doing this for me. I’m doing this for me. I tried to visualize a lean mean muscle machine.

Each pose was demonstrated in cartoon form on large cards tacked to the wall above the mirror; gigantic yogi flash cards. I kept glancing at the cards - only four poses left, only three poses left. I think I can, I think I can. I was definitely the caboose of the class. Others held their poses so gracefully you’d think they were prima ballerinas. Me? Not so much. I twitched, I tremored, I fell out of balance. But I made it through. I was so busy concentrating I even missed the sunrise. If one is going to get up at 5:30 in the morning it seems the primary advantage would be to see the sunrise. But this is not the case. The primary advantage is lactic acidosis - the first step to a healthier fitter self.

And why am I doing this? Why am I torturing myself? (Because it does sometimes feel like torture.) It is not about aesthetics (though a flat stomach would be a welcome side-effect). It’s about honoring my body: this vessel that skirts me though the world. Lately I’ve neglected my physical self. Without exercise I’m tired, lethargic, mentally deficient. It’s difficult to accomplish all there is to do in a day. It's difficult to think straight. And I’m too tired to care for others. I want to be a happy healthy energetic mother with happy healthy energetic kids. As such I need to attend to the Mamma’s physical and mental well being so she will have the energy and state of mind to attend to others.

I felt great after I got home. Little sis and I walked to the library. We cut through the park and took a extra time to sqaunch the crunchy fall leaves. We picked up acorns and admired their beauty. We listened to the geese honking and hollering across the pond. It was a gorgeous fall day and we were out and about to enjoy it.

Today? Today I’m cleaning house (literally). After school the kids and I are going to the track. We signed up for a three mile Jingle Bell Run in December. We need to get in shape. We are going to run. Tonight we’ll carve pumpkins and mess up everything I cleaned but it's okay.

Last week was stressful, difficult. This week less so though yesterday we got the bill for phase two of orthodontia - ouch. And though money is tight, even more so between braces and car issues, we can deal with it. Regular exercise is key. It changes my perspective. Instead of getting depressed, instead of crying, I’m choosing to look at these financial strains as opportunities. As challenges.

I’m going to ramp up Frugal Friday. Our expenses are increasing, our income is not. Time to get creative. Very very creative. Hopefully the extra cerebral oxygen will be beneficial.

++++++++++++

I’m still slowly knitting away at my first sock. Here’s a sneak peak:


+++++++++++++

This is my 96th post - ninety six! I’d like to do something special to honor my 100th post. I’m thinking a giveaway may be in order ... maybe a bag like the one in my Etsy shop ... stay tuned!

++++++++++++

On this Love Thursday don't forget to love yourself!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also trying to change the way I treat my body. We are half way through an 8 week fitness/health challenge (even though I'm sick as a dog with a cold and how did that happen?) Beautiful thoughts and congrats on post 96!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE hot yoga. It's a challenge in the beginning but it is sooo worth it in the end. I also love your gorgeous photo featuring such beautiful fall colors. Good for you crunching all those leaves on your walk to the library! I'm convinced that's what god intended them for.

Anonymous said...

i came for love and i get hot yoga too. a double deal! you got it exactly right..tremble, shake and concentrate.
happy LT!

Bridge said...

going to Hot Vinyasa tonight. its so funny last week I had gone for the first time in a LONG time. The next day I was limping and each muscle felt numb...a GOOD pain for sure.

donna said...

Isn't it amazing how pain can be liberating. I still don't really understand the whole endorphin thing but as I get older I have realized just how important exercise is.
And...i LOVE you sock...HLT

Joy! said...

Good for you for sticking it out and doing good things for yourself! And I love that picture of the sock on he leaves. I'm also envious... I've never had the perseverance to knit socks. These will look really cute and actually keep people cozy, I can tell.

ELK said...

what a most beautiful photo of your project and the lake....hang in there with the yoga ...although you made me sore just reading about it, I move everyday with my preschool class but it's not hot yoga! HLT!

Jewels said...

Happy LT! Love the picture of the reflection on the lake - what a treasure to have near you.

Memories Of Mine said...

I am in LOVE, LOVE, LOVE with your pumpkin hats. I want 2 to photograph new born twins in at Christmas time. I’ll wait to see if the Aussie dollar picks up as it is only worth 65 cents US currently. The exchange rate makes things expensive for us in this part of the world.

I hope your yoga pain subsides soon.

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful fall photo at the top of your post and the sock is looking good. My plan for the last month has been to start some kind of program, alternating between biking, yoga and pilates. I need to just do it, as Nike says. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comment. :)

Amy said...

Good for you - doing something for yourself. (Crazy choice though if you ask me!) I wonder why it's so hard to fit in time and effort for ourselves...