Saturday, November 5, 2011
The circuitous route to home remodeling (aka if you give a crafter a cookie ...)
Several weeks ago I decided to sew a scarf. A fun ruffled scarf. And I found the perfect material -- extra large tee shirts on sale at Target. I cut the material, pinned everything in place and discovered my sewing machine would no longer zig-zag. Fine. No problem. I got out sewing machine number two -- it wouldn't stitch, period.
I was at a crossroads. Do I repair one or both of these machines or do I break down and get a new one? After quite a bit of research and some serious soul-searching I found I wanted a new machine; a real machine - with stitch patterns and multiple feet and capabilities. In other words I was ready to take my sewing to the next level.
After all I had been sewing consistently now for five years. And, shockingly, the things I've sewn are a) still intact and b) still in rotation. This is justification enough, right?
Then I found a wonderful financing deal with Bernina -- four years interest free. Four! And no prepayment penalty. Now that I can do. And I did.
My new machine arrived yesterday. Only here's the thing. I've yet to get it out of the box. You see once the machine was ordered sewing projects popped up everywhere -- slipcovers and tree skirts and stockings and quilts ...
And I didn't want to wait. I was antsy and had no patience. So, with my old machine and simple straight stitch, I began slipcovers for my couches. Overall they've turned out well; in a rustic sort of way. I still have to finish a cushion cover and skirt for the larger of our two couches.
While fully immersed in my slipcover project I also began to realize just how disgusting our carpet is. I spent quite a bit of time sitting on the carpet pinning and adjusting and was not at all pleased with the experience. Last week I nearly threw down my sewing and ripped the carpet up.
But I talked myself down convincing myself that I should, minimally, complete one project before starting another.
Well yesterday that went out the window. I was sitting in my favorite chair and quite frankly the room just didn't smell right. I lit some candles -- better but still not right. I sprayed some lavender. The smell still lingered. And then I realized the cat had peed in the corner right behind my chair.
That was it. Right then and there I ripped out the carpet. Then I went to the hardware store and bought brown builder's paper and polyurethane*. Paper bag floor here we come.
Now 1/3 of the room is done. I plan to finish the remainder next week.
So, you see, I am remodeling my house all because I tried to sew a scarf. If you give a crafter a cookie ...
* Worried about the effects of inhaling excessive amounts of polyurethane I splurged and bought a water based low odor product. It cost a bit more but is definitely worth it. More floor pictures as the project progresses.