(or how to build a hula hoop)
- Go to the hardware store
- Buy irrigation poly tubing; 100 psi and 3/4 inch*
- Buy pipe couplers
- Buy electrical tape in a multitude of colors
- Return home and retrieve a blow dryer and popcorn kernels
- Cut tubing to desired circumference (somewhere between belly button and chest)**
- Place popcorn kernels in tubing
- Heat tube ends with blow dryer and attach with coupler
- Decorate with tape
- Hula hoop to your heart's delight
- And, finally, get Grandpa involved in the festivities
* 100 psi 3/4 inch tubing is great for kids. For a heavier hoop get 160 psi 3/4 inch or 100 psi 1 inch tubing.
** the easiest way to the cut the tubing is with a ratcheting pcv cutter which can be purchased from the hardware store. Fortunately we already owned one of these babies. The tubing can also be cut with a saw.
Note: the poly tubing is typically sold in bulk. We spent around $36.00 for this project which will yield approx 8 hula hoops. Clearly we don't need 8 hula hoops but we have several birthday parties to attend. These extra hoops will be part of our summer fun gift pack (more to come).
❊❊❊ ❊❊❊ ❊❊❊
I hope you are having a lovely summer!