Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Freaking Out


I am freaking out. Next week I'm traveling to Texas for a conference. It will be 95 degrees there. I need to dress business casual. Business casual? What the heck is that? Will it be cold in the conference center? Will I boil when I leave? Tomorrow I'm shopping for clothes I never wear and probably won't wear again; the bridesmaid outfit of conferences.

And then there's the list. Clean the house because Grandparents are coming to watch the children. Find and pack cell phone plus charger. Camera plus charger. Computer plus cord. Can I carry all these things on? How badly am I going to hold up the security line? Note to self - remove all knitting paraphernalia from purse; it's not allowed on the plane. Because, of course, knitters and terrorists are closely aligned.

How hard will it be to catch a cab from the airport? I hope I remember to have some cash on hand. Oh and a book for the plane.

And did you know I went mountain biking on Monday? Thirteen miles on a hybrid. A hybrid is not a mountain bike. That's probably why I fell. Will the huge bruise on my upper thigh and the new one over my knee, the one that appeared overnight, two days after said accident, preclude me from wearing shorts? I plan to swim tomorrow irregardless. It'll just add to the locker room fun.

I'm glad I've been doing yoga. I created a new pose - wrap your leg in your handle bars as your bike falls to the ground. Trust me - you'll get a really good stretch.

Those bruises will also be neat to explain to my doctor tomorrow as I arrive for my annual gynecological exam with four-year-old in tow. Yes, that is going to be lovely in so many ways. I'm really looking forward to it. Really.

So, yes, I'm spending a bit of time freaking out. Probably for nothing. 'Twill be fine when all is said and done. For now my bruises and I are going to write more lists and research business casual. After that we are going for Zen. We will sit still and we will breathe, in and out, in and out. 'Twill all be fine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can I relate to Shalet? Let me count the ways....

1. I so don't get the business casual thing. Particularly rough when you have to rock it in a dry sauna, um, Texas...

2. I can't remember the last time I had a gyno appointment without my kids in tow. Particularly enjoyable with the 4 year-olds, don't you agree?

3. I take our German Shepherd out on my bike. She loves the run, I don't love pitching it over the handle bars. I can still feel that particular ride.

4. Your laundry list of "to-do" things before your trip is so true...and the knitters/terrorists connection? Hmmmmmm

I could probably go on and on. But I'll just say that I'm thinking of you and hope your trip to Texas is super :)

Anonymous said...

Please don't trouble yourself for Texas!! Be your own Oregon, however you are.

Erin Faye said...

I have never understood the whole "business casual" thing either.

Don't freak out too much, everything will fall into place as it should.

Have a blast! And tell us all about it when you get back.

Honorary Indian said...

TOTALLY forgot to email you about San Antonio!!!!!!!!!!

Casual skirts with short sleeve tops should do...sandals...no hose! Bring a sweater for those over-chilled conference rooms. The A/C is always down too low indoors. They overcompensate for the brutal heat.

Rivercenter Mall is on the Riverwalk in case you forget anything. Yummy river restaurants include: Boudros, Paesano's, Zuni Grill, Casa Rio (good ole' fashioned Mexican food). Take a ride on the Riverboat and take in the Alamo (which I find boring but you must see it as a visitor).

Catching a cab from the airport should be pretty easy. Bring your swimsuit (either for training or for lounging in the heat).

Email me with other questions!!!!
jenagarwal@gvtc.com!

Go girl on that bike! Only one week till my big race. Holy cow. That's all I have to say.

: )