Monday, January 24, 2011


Yesterday I started a new project (because I really need another project. Not.) But I couldn't help myself. My family is on an organization kick. This is a good thing. Our lives have been taken over by clutter. And, quite frankly, clutter negatively affects all of our moods.

So yesterday the boys raked leaves and pine needles (finally!) and I ripped out the carpet in the nook upstairs. This nook is to become my crafting area. And the carpet was, well, disgusting. As in completely gross, unsanitary and sickening.

Only here's the thing. The carpet will not be replaced. We have no budget to redecorate. But never you mind. I have a plan. First I'm going to paint the sub floor. And, of course, the walls. Then, if I can find a brawny assistant or two, my sewing armoire will relocate upstairs. Additionally we have a thrifted yellow formica table gathering dust in the garage. This will be the new crafting table. And, thanks to Tammie, I am also in the process of knitting a rag rug from vintage sheets to add a soft touch (and hopefully couch some of the noise). Finally we need to come up with creative ideas for shelving.

I intended to only tackle the nook but ended up ripping out the carpet all the way down the hall and to the landing. It was disgusting people. Absolutely disgusting. So I will be painting that floor too and may also knit a rag rug runner. I threatened to pull the carpet off the stairs and rag rug the entire thing. However Mr. Peculiar put the kabosh on that. I believe his exact words were, "I don't want a hippie house." Whatever.

What I really want is wood stairs. Real wood. Not the particle board that resides under our carpet. I even brought flooring samples home from the Home Depot. But, again, no budget. So the carpet will remain until I can come up with an inexpensive alternative. Ideas anyone?

All this to share with you my epiphany. Sitting in the stripped nook I realized this house has good bones. It's never too late to strip down and start over. Not only is this is true for a house but it is also true for life. Don't like the direction you're headed? Strip down (figuratively not literally) and start over. All it takes is a vision, diligence and hard work.

Now I'm gearing up to finish my demolition. I've got to pull up the carpet tacks and fill all the cracks with wood filler. Likely I'll take tomorrow off as I have to work. If all goes well a coat of paint on Wednesday.

Hopefully this finished project matches the image in my head. If not I can always try and try again.

Happy Monday all!





8 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree! Sometimes you just have to have the courage to attack the yuck and get rid of it! It's not until you clear away those things that you can begin to see the possibilities. I also believe in the magic of getting rid of things so that there is room for new things to come in. Just the fact that you have released your wish for wood flooring into the universe may help it to become a reality. If for no other reason that someone (your mom, maybe?) will get tired of looking at your particle board floor and gift you with some real wood! lol. Hey, it could happen! I suggest telling everyone you know that you need free wood for your stairs and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

ooh i cant wait to see your finished space. best of luck. :)

Jen @ By Jen ❤️ said...

Can't wait to see!

Anonymous said...

It might be fun to paint a cool pattern on the floor and I love the idea of creatively making do. It's like being a pioneer in 2011 ... well, that's what rag rugs make me think of anyway. Strong women who didn't have a store at hand to shop from or money in their pocket to buy, women who made do and very well sometimes using just what was available.

What a great adventure! I hope you blog about it as it unfolds.

TAMI said...

Wow ~ What a GREAT project!! Can't wait to see your in-progess photos!

Shalet said...

I'll do my best to keep you posted. Not much (as in any) more progress made yet. But I *will* get this done!

Deeapaulitan said...

I'm just smiling at your hubby's comment. It's *so* what my Mr. Delicious would say. :)
I'm on pins and needles to see the color choices for the floor and walls! :D

Karen said...

" It's never too late to strip down and start over."

This epiphany really hit home for me today. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts here :)