Wednesday, December 8, 2010

One final post on Oliver

Hobbs, our darling replacement kitty

So. I got the surgical bill for Oliver. $1745.00. This is my cost after the 30 % professional discount. This for a stray cat; a cat that was not under my care when injured. Do I regret it? No. Do I wish I knew the outcome before pursing surgery? Of course. But life isn't like that. Sometimes we take risks. Sometimes we make judgement calls that don't quite work out in our favor.

I did learn a few things and I'd like to share them with you:

  • First off -- emotions and finance do not make a good combination. Oliver was an AMAZING kitty and we fell in love. Head. Over. Heels.
  • Kids wreck havoc on one's ability to make financial judgements. I had to take Oliver to surgery because I could not look into those sweet little doe eyes and tell them it didn't make financial sense (see point one).
  • Third -- veterinary medicine is expensive, even for veterinarians. If you have a pet that you would go to any length for you should either a) start a savings account or b) get pet insurance (or both).
  • If you are not going to adhere to the third point then by all means make sure you have good credit. Fortunately I have a year to pay off this bill without interest thanks to Care Credit.
  • If you do get Care Credit be sure to pay off the ENTIRE balance before the introductory rate ends. Otherwise the interest rates are astronomical.
  • Sometimes the free pet ends up being the most expensive. This is not to say you should purchase a pet. There are many nice animals at the humane society which can be had for a nominal fee (see photo above). Pets from the humane society come spayed or neutered, vaccinated, dewormed and often with a month of free pet insurance.
  • A new kitten of the same color variety lessens the sting of loss.
  • 4-month-old kittens are CRAZY. Our tree will likely be knocked over more than once this holiday season.
  • And finally, though some of you disagree, I am a sucker (in the nicest sense of the term). There are some animals that just get under my skin and I am compelled reach out and help them. See examples A, B and C. As such, after this bill is paid, I will start an "I AM A SUCKER FUND" so that I will be able to help the next creature with less financial strain.
And now, because I've neglected to do this for a while, I wish to post a list of gratefulness.

Today I am grateful for:
  • Amazing, caring, sweet and resilient children.
  • All the folks who reached out financially and emotionally to give Oliver a chance.
  • The thought that if nothing else I am supporting the local economy as Oliver's surgery was performed in town.
  • Professional discounts -- every little bit helps!
  • Delicious left overs that make eating at home worth the effort.
  • Library books and wool roving.
  • My small shop that helps me to meet my obligations.
  • Holiday cookies and lights on trees.
  • Snow on the ground and icicles on the roof.
  • And the love and joy that my family brings.

No comments: