Tuesday, September 16, 2008


Two nights of work have caused my eyelids to droop. Today they'll be propped with toothpicks as I attempt coherent interaction with my family. I'm off tonight then back to work tomorrow for another fifteen hour night shift. Of course two clients were late this morning stretching fifteen hours to sixteen. I was crabby coming home.

NPR was discussing the McCain campaign and the economy. I couldn't help but feel we are in for more of the same - my retirement savings drifting away, our house price steadily falling, decreased income, increased expenses and a country at war. Quite honestly I'd gotten myself into quite a funk by the time I pulled into the driveway.

Then I stepped on the porch and saw this pot of geraniums blooming brightly in the sun. I can not tell you the last time this plant was watered. We haven't had any rain. This lovely blooming geranium stared up at me and shouted, "You need less than you think. You too can thrive!" And thrive I will. But first I think I'll take a little nap.

3 comments:

Molly said...

we must have been listening to the same show this morning - i know exactly what you mean about the funk. it's a good thing there is so much beauty in the world to keep us afloat.

Bridge said...

McCain and the though that this could even be a close race given the circumstances of our country really brings me down. Its hard not to lose faith and hope when so many people think more of the same is fine.
thanks for reminding me to see the beauty.

Rebecca said...

my love of geraniums came late. my mom put them out on our front porch every summer, and they bored me. that bitter smell, yuck. but now i love them almost best of all the annuals i plant.